Collection of Recyclables
In the Municipality of the County of Antigonish, Recyclables are collected every second week and are delivered to the Transfer Station at the Beech Hill Solid Waste-Resource Management Facility.
Wondering what day your recyclables will be collected?
Eastern Region Solid Waste Management, sponsored in part by Divert NS, has created a Collection Calendar to help you find the answer.
When you enter your civic address a Waste Collection Calendar will be created specific to your address. There is an option for you to print the Collection Calendar or you can sign up to receive a reminder the day before or the day of your collection. There are several options for receiving a reminder, so check it out and sign up today! If you sign up for reminders, you will also receive special notices for events and waste collection route changes.
What else is new? A Waste Wizard has been created. Wondering if a particular material is garbage or recyclable, just click on the link: Waste Wizard and enter the name of the material you are wondering about and the Waste Wizard will tell you if the item is recyclable, garbage or compostable.
Recyclables must be separated into 2 blue bags as indicated below
Waste Collection Calendar
The calendar below is created specific to your civic address and is currently active for residents with curbside collection in the Municipality of the County of Antigonish.
Bag 1 — Paper Products
- Magazines, catalogues & periodicals
- Advertising flyers, including glossy paper
- Paperbacks & phone books
- Pages removed from hard cover books
- Paper egg cartons (dozens and flats)
- Cores from paper towel and bathroom tissue rolls
- Boxboard (cereal and cracker boxes, etc. with the liner removed)
- Letter, office and school paper (bond and glossy)
- File folders
- Corrugated cardboard
Bag 2 — All Other Recyclables
- Corrugated plastic
- Clean pallet wrap
- Aluminum & steel/tin food cans
- Aluminum plates & foil – Clean
- Glass jars and bottles
- Plastic containers (#1-7, non-hazardous)
- Grocery & bread bags (#4)
- Milk cartons and jugs
- Refundable beverage containers**
** You will only receive your refund if refundable beverage containers are returned to an ENVIRO-DEPOT™
Notes on Recycling
- All containers MUST be rinsed clean – labels do not need to be removed.
- Lids/caps from glass and plastic jars/bottles MUST be removed – these covers can be placed in the regular household garbage.
- Covers on tin cans do not have to be removed – if removed, please place them on the bottom of the cleaned container.
- All paper fasteners MUST be removed.
- Paper and cardboard MUST be clean and dry – it cannot be recycled if wet and dirty.
For more information on waste collection in Nova Scotia visit the Divert NS Website.
Holiday Collection Scehdule
It is the Policy of the Municipality of the County of Antigonish that garbage, organics and recyclables are collected as normal on all holidays throughout the year except for the following:
Good Friday, Remembrance Day and Christmas Day
Garbage and organics normally collected on these days will be collected on week later on the regular day for collection.
Recyclables normally collected on these days will be collected 2 weeks later on the regular day for collection.
The Beech Hill Solid Waste Resource Management Facility is closed on all holidays throughout the year.
What happens if my regular garbage, compost and recyclables collection is cancelled due to weather conditions?
Weather conditions sometimes requires the cancellation of collection for garbage, compost and recyclables. When this happens, garbage and compost will be collected one week later on regular collection day. Recyclables will be collected two weeks later on the regular collection day.