UPDATE -March 16, 2020 9PM
In an effort to curb transmission of COVID-19 in our community and protect the health of municipal officials, the Antigonish County Municipal Office and Public Works Building will be closed to the public effective Tuesday, March 17 until further notice. Services will be provide via phone and online. There is no interruptions to Solid Waste Collection service. If you have any questions or concerns please contact the municipal office at 902.863.1117. We thank all residents for their patience and cooperation as our collective response to this pandemic evolves.
COVID-19 has challenged us in our workplace and in our personal lives. The last few days have been hectic and ever changing. Given recent events we want to ensure the health and safety of our staff and our community. As we enter these uncharted waters, the following measures are being implemented immediately to maintain the health and safety of municipal staff:
- Increased disinfection measures on common and personal surface areas, door handles, glass screens, bathrooms, chair handles etc.
- The door between the lobby and back office will remain closed until further notice; only municipal employees are permitted in the back office.
- The Public Works Building is closed to the public until further notice; only municipal employees are permitted in the public works building.
- The Scale House is closed to the public until further notice; only municipal employees are permitted in the Scale House.
- All in-person meetings are to be changed to phone calls or teleconferences.
- The equipment loan program has been suspended. If you currently have equipment signed out, hang onto it until business resumes as usual.
- Rate-payers are being directed and encouraged to pay bills online and over the phone.
- Applications for recreation jobs are encouraged to be submitted online (firstname.lastname@example.org). If applications come to the building, drop boxes have been placed in the foyer to receive them.
- Applications for Community Partnership Grants are encouraged to be submitted online (email@example.com). If applications come to the building, drop boxes have been placed in the foyer to receive them.
- Gloves and hand sanitizers have been made available to front line staff who will continue to have direct contact with the public.
- When meeting and socializing internally among staff, please observe physical distancing (six-feet) and hand washing protocols.
- The Antigonish Arena will be closed to the public effective tomorrow, Tuesday, March 17, 2020, until April 3, 2020.
Notice is hereby given that the lands and premises situated in the County of Antigonish shall be sold at Public Auction at the Municipal Administrative Centre on the 11th day of March, 2020 at the hour of 11:00 am.
Tax Sale Process – Click Here
To view a list of the properties up for tax sale – Click Here
NEW DATES FOR 2020!
Starting in January 2020, Regular Meetings of Council will be held on the second Monday of each month. These meetings are held at 7:30 pm in the Council Chambers of the Municipal Administration Centre at 285 Beech Hill Road, and are open to the public.
The planned dates for Regular Meetings of Council in 2020 are:
- January 13, 2020
- February 10, 2020
- March 9, 2020
- April 14, 2020 *on Tuesday due to Easter Monday
- May 11, 2020
- June 8, 2020
- September 8, 2020 *on Tuesday due to Labour Day
- October 13, 2020 *on Tuesday due to Thanksgiving
- November 9, 2020
- December 14, 2020
The agenda for these meetings will be posted on the Municipal Website prior to each meeting.
Following an emergency meeting on December 9, 2019, Antigonish County Municipal Council has issued an immediate call to action to the Nova Scotia Department of Transportation and
Infrastructure Renewal to modify the intersection at Trunk 4 and Beech Hill Road.
To view the full release, click here:
Please note that an emergency meeting of Municipal Council is being called for Monday, Dec. 9, 2019, at 5:30 PM, 285 Beech Hill Road. The purpose of this meeting is to discuss the ongoing safety concerns surrounding the Beech Hill – Trunk 4 intersection.
From December 1, 2019 until April 15, 2020, the winter parking regulations are in effect for roads and streets under Municipal jurisdiction.
The signed regulations and list of roads and streets under Municipal jurisdiction can be found here: 2019-20 Winter Parking Regulations Signed
By shopping local this Holiday Season you can enter to win some fabulous prizes from the participating businesses. The contest runs from November 23 – December 20. By spending $10 at any of the participating retail outlets, you can enter your name for the draw. Winners will announced live on 98.9XFM on December 20th.
Please note that a Special Municipal Council Meeting will be held on Monday, September 23rd, 2019 at 7:30 pm in Council Chambers at the Municipal Administration Building, 285 Beech Hill Road. This meeting follows a Special Committee of the Whole meeting that starts at 6:30pm.
Agendas for each meeting can be found here (Committee of the Whole) and here (Council).
Please note that a Special Municipal Council Meeting will be held on Tuesday, August 6th at 7:30 pm in Council Chambers at the Municipal Administration Building, 285 Beech Hill Road.