The Municipality is looking for work to be done to be done to the exterior of the Courthouse Building at 172 Main Street, Antigonish.
Bids must be submitted before 2:00pm on Friday, June 19, 2020
Submissions are to be received electronically in PDF format. Instructions for submissions and full details of the scope of work can be found in document MCA-CH2020-2, which also posted on the Provincial procurement website. Plans for the ramp and step can be found here.
Contractors must take into consideration and adjust their work practices to ensure ALL construction activities are following the on-going (and changing) provincial COVID-19 restrictions issued by the Government of Nova Scotia and federal restrictions issued by the Government of Canada.
The Municipality of the County of Antigonish reserves the right to reject any or all bids, not necessarily accept the lowest bid, or to accept any bid which it may consider to be in the best interest of the Municipality. The Municipality also reserves the right to waive formality, informality or technicality in any bid.
“Walk to Exercise, Not Socialize”
Walking, running and biking are great tools to maintain physical and mental health while social distancing. Those who choose to walk, run or bike on the trails must comply with the following provincial restrictions:
- Practice social distancing by limiting contact with other people – stay about 2 metres (6 feet) apart.
- Limit gatherings to no more than 5 people. Groups should be made up of individuals from the same household.
- If you do not live within walking distance to the trails do not drive to them. Exercise in your neighbourhood instead.
Residents should not be driving to use the Landing Trail. If the RCMP continue to see vehicle traffic at the Landing, they will start ticketing vehicles who are not complying with the Health Protection Act.
The Town of Antigonish and the Municipality of the County of Antigonish remind residents that it is critical that we take these measures to protect the community. Please follow the strict directions from the Premier of Nova Scotia and Chief Medical Officer Dr. Strang to walk, run or bike around your own neighbourhood for exercise not socialization.
Failure to follow these directions could result in closure of the Landing Trail.
Do you have a loved one, family friend, or former neighbour living in a long-term care home
in our community? Why not take this time to reach out, send a note or draw picture that
could help brighten someone’s day! Let’s stay in touch and let residents and workers know that we are thinking of them by sending messages of support, thanks and friendship to brighten spirits and lift the hearts those who need it the most.
The R.K. MacDonald Nursing Home is jointly owned by the Town of Antigonish and the
Municipality of the County of Antigonish. Right now, we are thinking of the 136 residents
and staff members who need a little extra support from our community during this time.
We invite you and your family to send letters, cards, pictures, paintings and messages of
hope to the residents and staff of the R.K. MacDonald Nursing Home or any other facility in
Antigonish Town and County.
R.K. MacDonald Nursing Home
64 Pleasant Street
Antigonish, Nova Scotia
Cards and letters for the R.K. MacDonald can be mailed or dropped in a secure outdoor
drop box at:
If you use the dropbox, please be sure to follow proper physical/social distancing guidelines
from other residents and employees and wash your hands when you return home.
You can also send messages of support via email to: RK.ADMINAssistant@rkmacdonald.ca.
The Province of Nova Scotia declared a State of Emergency on Sunday March 22, 2020. All provincial beaches and parks are closed until further notice. It is important to remain active for your mental and physical health, please do so in your neighborhoods or on your property while maintaining a physical distance of 2 meters (6 ft).
As the Premier said,
“If you have to drive to get your exercise, you are going too far. What we need you to do is walk for exercise not to socialize; and you can do that in your community. If you live near a trail, go to the trial, but if you are driving to go to the parking lot; stay in your own community. Walk the block, walk around your house, walk along the side of the road you live on. What we are asking people to do is not to drive to public spaces.”
Meetings of the Committee of the Whole and Asset Management Committees will be held by teleconference on March 30, 2020. In accordance with the directive issued on March 22, 2020 by the Minister of Municipal Affairs, the minutes from these meetings will be posted on the Municipal Website 24 hours after these meetings take place.
UPDATE -March 16, 2020 9PM
In an effort to curb transmission of COVID-19 in our community and protect the health of municipal officials, the Antigonish County Municipal Office and Public Works Building will be closed to the public effective Tuesday, March 17 until further notice. Services will be provide via phone and online. There is no interruptions to Solid Waste Collection service. If you have any questions or concerns please contact the municipal office at 902.863.1117. We thank all residents for their patience and cooperation as our collective response to this pandemic evolves.
COVID-19 has challenged us in our workplace and in our personal lives. The last few days have been hectic and ever changing. Given recent events we want to ensure the health and safety of our staff and our community. As we enter these uncharted waters, the following measures are being implemented immediately to maintain the health and safety of municipal staff:
- Increased disinfection measures on common and personal surface areas, door handles, glass screens, bathrooms, chair handles etc.
- The door between the lobby and back office will remain closed until further notice; only municipal employees are permitted in the back office.
- The Public Works Building is closed to the public until further notice; only municipal employees are permitted in the public works building.
- The Scale House is closed to the public until further notice; only municipal employees are permitted in the Scale House.
- All in-person meetings are to be changed to phone calls or teleconferences.
- The equipment loan program has been suspended. If you currently have equipment signed out, hang onto it until business resumes as usual.
- Rate-payers are being directed and encouraged to pay bills online and over the phone.
- Applications for recreation jobs are encouraged to be submitted online (email@example.com). If applications come to the building, drop boxes have been placed in the foyer to receive them.
- Applications for Community Partnership Grants are encouraged to be submitted online (firstname.lastname@example.org). If applications come to the building, drop boxes have been placed in the foyer to receive them.
- Gloves and hand sanitizers have been made available to front line staff who will continue to have direct contact with the public.
- When meeting and socializing internally among staff, please observe physical distancing (six-feet) and hand washing protocols.
- The Antigonish Arena will be closed to the public effective tomorrow, Tuesday, March 17, 2020, until April 3, 2020.
Notice is hereby given that the lands and premises situated in the County of Antigonish shall be sold at Public Auction at the Municipal Administrative Centre on the 11th day of March, 2020 at the hour of 11:00 am.
Tax Sale Process – Click Here
To view a list of the properties up for tax sale – Click Here
NEW DATES FOR 2020!
Starting in January 2020, Regular Meetings of Council will be held on the second Monday of each month. These meetings are held at 7:30 pm in the Council Chambers of the Municipal Administration Centre at 285 Beech Hill Road, and are open to the public.
The planned dates for Regular Meetings of Council in 2020 are:
- January 13, 2020
- February 10, 2020
- March 9, 2020
- April 14, 2020 *on Tuesday due to Easter Monday
- May 11, 2020
- June 8, 2020
- September 8, 2020 *on Tuesday due to Labour Day
- October 13, 2020 *on Tuesday due to Thanksgiving
- November 9, 2020
- December 14, 2020
The agenda for these meetings will be posted on the Municipal Website prior to each meeting.