Do you have a loved one, family friend, or former neighbour living in a long-term care home
in our community? Why not take this time to reach out, send a note or draw picture that
could help brighten someone’s day! Let’s stay in touch and let residents and workers know that we are thinking of them by sending messages of support, thanks and friendship to brighten spirits and lift the hearts those who need it the most.
The R.K. MacDonald Nursing Home is jointly owned by the Town of Antigonish and the
Municipality of the County of Antigonish. Right now, we are thinking of the 136 residents
and staff members who need a little extra support from our community during this time.
We invite you and your family to send letters, cards, pictures, paintings and messages of
hope to the residents and staff of the R.K. MacDonald Nursing Home or any other facility in
Antigonish Town and County.
R.K. MacDonald Nursing Home
64 Pleasant Street
Antigonish, Nova Scotia
Cards and letters for the R.K. MacDonald can be mailed or dropped in a secure outdoor
drop box at:
If you use the dropbox, please be sure to follow proper physical/social distancing guidelines
from other residents and employees and wash your hands when you return home.
You can also send messages of support via email to: RK.ADMINAssistant@rkmacdonald.ca.
The Province of Nova Scotia declared a State of Emergency on Sunday March 22, 2020. All provincial beaches and parks are closed until further notice. It is important to remain active for your mental and physical health, please do so in your neighborhoods or on your property while maintaining a physical distance of 2 meters (6 ft).
As the Premier said,
“If you have to drive to get your exercise, you are going too far. What we need you to do is walk for exercise not to socialize; and you can do that in your community. If you live near a trail, go to the trial, but if you are driving to go to the parking lot; stay in your own community. Walk the block, walk around your house, walk along the side of the road you live on. What we are asking people to do is not to drive to public spaces.”
Meetings of the Committee of the Whole and Asset Management Committees will be held by teleconference on March 30, 2020. In accordance with the directive issued on March 22, 2020 by the Minister of Municipal Affairs, the minutes from these meetings will be posted on the Municipal Website 24 hours after these meetings take place.
UPDATE -March 16, 2020 9PM
In an effort to curb transmission of COVID-19 in our community and protect the health of municipal officials, the Antigonish County Municipal Office and Public Works Building will be closed to the public effective Tuesday, March 17 until further notice. Services will be provide via phone and online. There is no interruptions to Solid Waste Collection service. If you have any questions or concerns please contact the municipal office at 902.863.1117. We thank all residents for their patience and cooperation as our collective response to this pandemic evolves.
COVID-19 has challenged us in our workplace and in our personal lives. The last few days have been hectic and ever changing. Given recent events we want to ensure the health and safety of our staff and our community. As we enter these uncharted waters, the following measures are being implemented immediately to maintain the health and safety of municipal staff:
- Increased disinfection measures on common and personal surface areas, door handles, glass screens, bathrooms, chair handles etc.
- The door between the lobby and back office will remain closed until further notice; only municipal employees are permitted in the back office.
- The Public Works Building is closed to the public until further notice; only municipal employees are permitted in the public works building.
- The Scale House is closed to the public until further notice; only municipal employees are permitted in the Scale House.
- All in-person meetings are to be changed to phone calls or teleconferences.
- The equipment loan program has been suspended. If you currently have equipment signed out, hang onto it until business resumes as usual.
- Rate-payers are being directed and encouraged to pay bills online and over the phone.
- Applications for recreation jobs are encouraged to be submitted online (email@example.com). If applications come to the building, drop boxes have been placed in the foyer to receive them.
- Applications for Community Partnership Grants are encouraged to be submitted online (firstname.lastname@example.org). If applications come to the building, drop boxes have been placed in the foyer to receive them.
- Gloves and hand sanitizers have been made available to front line staff who will continue to have direct contact with the public.
- When meeting and socializing internally among staff, please observe physical distancing (six-feet) and hand washing protocols.
- The Antigonish Arena will be closed to the public effective tomorrow, Tuesday, March 17, 2020, until April 3, 2020.
Notice is hereby given that the lands and premises situated in the County of Antigonish shall be sold at Public Auction at the Municipal Administrative Centre on the 11th day of March, 2020 at the hour of 11:00 am.
Tax Sale Process – Click Here
To view a list of the properties up for tax sale – Click Here
NEW DATES FOR 2020!
Starting in January 2020, Regular Meetings of Council will be held on the second Monday of each month. These meetings are held at 7:30 pm in the Council Chambers of the Municipal Administration Centre at 285 Beech Hill Road, and are open to the public.
The planned dates for Regular Meetings of Council in 2020 are:
- January 13, 2020
- February 10, 2020
- March 9, 2020
- April 14, 2020 *on Tuesday due to Easter Monday
- May 11, 2020
- June 8, 2020
- September 8, 2020 *on Tuesday due to Labour Day
- October 13, 2020 *on Tuesday due to Thanksgiving
- November 9, 2020
- December 14, 2020
The agenda for these meetings will be posted on the Municipal Website prior to each meeting.
Following an emergency meeting on December 9, 2019, Antigonish County Municipal Council has issued an immediate call to action to the Nova Scotia Department of Transportation and
Infrastructure Renewal to modify the intersection at Trunk 4 and Beech Hill Road.
To view the full release, click here:
Please note that an emergency meeting of Municipal Council is being called for Monday, Dec. 9, 2019, at 5:30 PM, 285 Beech Hill Road. The purpose of this meeting is to discuss the ongoing safety concerns surrounding the Beech Hill – Trunk 4 intersection.
From December 1, 2019 until April 15, 2020, the winter parking regulations are in effect for roads and streets under Municipal jurisdiction.
The signed regulations and list of roads and streets under Municipal jurisdiction can be found here: 2019-20 Winter Parking Regulations Signed